Monday

Benson Hill

I have never allowed myself to think I was good at math
I memorized, got tested, and forgot
I hardly know the basics

Still...

When I take Jean every Monday to Benson Hill Fred Meyers
she signs her check, hands it to me, I hand it the cashier
and say, "please print it for $20 over."

This halts all progress. They stare me blankly.
Adding $20 to the total is difficult, you see,
because they need to type in the new total amount themselves.
All by themselves. No computer to tell them the amount.
"So...$20 over...would be - "
"The total is $47..."
"Yeah..."
"So $20 over would be?"
"Uh"
When I give into the pleading look, I say, "$67"

Every week.
Doesn't matter the age, gender, race, ability...no one can add $20 to the total.

I could write out the rest of the check for Jean, after she signs it,
but in perverse horror, I like to watch this
every week
On Benson Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment